written/non-written things by me (from 2005-2008)

Friday, November 24, 2006

Small Change


Just look at these! They are colorful, delectable and nutritious; and they are purchased with the loose change in my pocket. They are impaled on long skewers, which are then poked through a Styrofoam cylinder, which is mounted on a bike. Which is presumably riden on dusty streets, behind exhaust pipes, etc. Here they are in an alley next to a dumpster. Does the yuck air stick to them? I used to care, but now I don’t. Behind the crabapples is a barrel selling roasted sweet potatoes. I buy these almost everyday. The sweet potatoes are crowded on the lid of the blackened industrial barrel. People usually pick them up, squeeze them and heft them up and down before they decide to buy. Despite all this, I eat the skin. I used to care, but now I don’t. And this is the gauge by which I measure all personal change.


 Posted by Picasa

My name is Hannah Pierce-Carlson