written/non-written things by me (from 2005-2008)

Sunday, August 12, 2007

my Air Singing is the quietest


“We came from Beijing for different reasons. Wang is here to escape his parents and the pollution. I, however, have come to perform. It makes me proud to be an air singer. Air singing has been popular in China for many years. We believe that sound influences the harmony of the universe, and so we provide beautiful sounds at low volumes so as not to disturb or add to noise pollution. I feel that noise pollution has been overlooked by many places, including Vörland, and that it is the biggest problem we have yet to tackle collectively, to assure a better quality of life. In most of China it is hard to find a very quiet place. But in Beijing we are doing well in leading the silent fight. I am a soldier. A peaceful one. I belong to a very successful and popular air singer’s choir Groan From the Sick. Tonight I will perform solo on Karl Gustaf promenade. I will place my lucky cap on the ground. Pay me if you like, or don’t pay me if you don’t like. But I know that you will, because my air singing is the quietest you’ve ever heard.”

Sheng Di, 32

from COLORS71 "Welcome to Vorland" an issue exploring an imagined Scandinavian tourist destination, circa 2057, in an adjusting post-extinction global warming climate.

"For centuries Vörland was thought of as a freezing, inhospitable island. But it not only brilliantly survived the hard times at the end of the Petroleum Era and during the Sixth Mass Extinction, due to global warming, it has also become one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. Here the temperatures are mild, vegetation is lush and the beaches are wide and sandy, a far cry from the torrid summers of Southern Europe."

My name is Hannah Pierce-Carlson