written/non-written things by me (from 2005-2008)

Friday, February 09, 2007

Preparations.



This man sets up a little shoe repair shop on the corner of my street. I took a little homemade daypack that I was making. He masterfully sewed it up using his hand-cranking sewing machine and metal shoe wire and charged me only 5 RMB. I doubled it.





This is the nice little bike shop that I've been spying for a while, it's an oddity. It's like a typical shop back home but everything was coated in a layer of dust. Few people here use bike shops, opting instead for street-side repairs. I played with the dog YouYou while a man spent 30 minutes truing up my wheels and adjusting my brakes. After all that, he didn't even charge me and refused my payment when I insisted.



I'm leaving for South China in 2 weeks. I have no doubt that my 3 month bike ride will go just as smoothly as these preparations.

My name is Hannah Pierce-Carlson